Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
I absolutely love to encourage my friends and loved ones by sending cards—in fact, making homemade cards is one of my very favorite things to do! And I believe now more than ever that the personal touch of a card touches the lonely hearts of others.
But as a person who doesn’t like to write, I can get bogged down with what to actually pen inside my pretty, love-filled cards.
If you find yourself procrastinating about sending a card because you don’t know what to write in it, then you probably have some anxiety that you won’t say the “right thing.” This spiritual clutter can lead to even more spiritual clutter: fretful, guilty feelings about not sending the card at all.
A few years ago I compiled a list of writing prompts for various kinds of cards. I typed it up, printed it on both sides of one sheet of paper, and laminated it (oh yes, I love my laminator!). Ostensibly, I did this to help my kids write their own thank-you notes and cards, but I’ve ended up using it more than all of the other members of my household combined!
So, without further ado, here is my list of card-writing prompts. Get intentional, get organized, and send some love! (If you’d like a printable version, here it is: Organizing You Card-Writing Prompts.)
What to Write in a Card
- What a surprise, thank you!
- What a thoughtful way to wish me a _____________________!
- Thank you for taking the time to chose something/do something so special for me.
- I feel blessed and grateful.
- You are so thoughtful and generous, thank you!
- I don’t know how you did it, but you chose the perfect gift.
- Thank you for giving your time and energy to bless me.
- I appreciate your hard work—I couldn’t have done it without you.
- Thank you for loving me this way.
- I am sincerely grateful.
- Only someone who knows me well could choose that gift for me!
- If you could see my face, you’d see the huge smile you put on it.
- God has blessed me with you.
- Thank you for celebrating with me.
- The only thing that makes my heart happier than your gift is having you for a friend.
- You made me feel special!
- You spoil me, and I appreciate it!
- I so appreciate your encouragement and support.
- I’m enjoying using your gift…
- You have made a joyous occasion even more wonderful.
- I hope you have a wonderful birthday and enjoy celebrating with your family and friends.
- You have been a blessing to many people, and will continue to be for many years to come!
- You just keep getting better and better.
- Your birthday is a yearly reminder of how blessed I am to have you as a friend.
- I hope you know that you are loved on your birthday, and every day!
- May your birthday be the first day of a great new year!
- Happy birthday to one of the most ______________ people I know.
- I hope you have the kind of birthday that makes you feel special and loved—because you are.
- Have a birthday filled with the gifts of love, fun and happiness!
- I’m thankful to have you as my friend today, and every day of the year.
- You guys are an inspiration!
- Congratulations on so many wonderful years together.
- Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite people, combined into one of my favorite couples.
- It’s a blessing to see the two of you together.
- If you got better yesterday, it wouldn’t be soon enough!
- I was so sorry to hear that you’re not feeling well.
- I’m praying for healing and peace for you.
- I pray that God will watch over you and bless you with health.
- I’m praying for wisdom for you doctors and health for you.
- Take care of yourself and let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you.
- I’m praying for a speedy recovery!
- I hope you feel better each day.
- We are looking forward to meeting the newest member of your family!
- What a gift from God!
- I pray that you and the baby will have a happy, healthy, and easy(!) pregnancy and delivery.
- Please let me know if I can help in any way.
- I’m praying for continued blessings for you as your family grows.
- May God bless the [new #] of you!
- Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!
- What a gift from God! I don’t know who is more blessed—you with your precious baby, or him/her with you as parents.
- I pray that you’ll be able to enjoy every moment (well, almost every moment).
- Enjoy all the little things and rest in the fact that God is loving you all.
- I’m praying for peace, wisdom, and joy for you all.
- Please let me know if I can help in any way.
- May God bless your new family!
- I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
- My deepest sympathies are with you and your family at this time of grieving.
- I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.
- I know you’ll always carry ___________ in your heart and cherish your wonderful memories of him/her.
- I will miss ____________.
- He/She was a wonderful person and I was blessed to know him/her.
- I admired ___________ for ______________. I will continue to be inspired by him/her.
- I am at a loss for words, but please accept my deepest condolences anyway.
- Please know that I am here if you need anything.
- I pray that you’ll feel Jesus walking beside you during this time.
- I am praying for strength and comfort for you at this time.
- I pray you’ll feel God’s presence.
- May God pour out blessings of comfort and peace upon you.
- Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you.
- Congratulations! Thank you for letting us be a part of your special day.
- May your marriage bring you more joy than you can imagine.
- I know you’ll be blessings to each other and to all those who meet you.
- You are amazing individuals and a wonderful couple.
- I’m looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you both.
- I pray that God guides you in your new adventure together.
- May God pour out His blessings on the two of you.
- May you have a lifetime of joy together.
- Congratulations on your graduation!
- I know you worked hard, and I’m looking forward to seeing you reap the benefits.
- What an exciting time to think about possibilities and look for opportunities—may you discover plenty of both!
- Today marks the completion of one goal and the start of many more.
- I am so proud of your accomplishments and your character.
- I’m looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you.
- May God bless you as you continue to walk the path He’s laid out for you.
Again, if you’d like the printable version, here it is: Organizing You Card-Writing Prompts
For more ideas about how to live your priorities, check out my first book, Organizing You: Finding Your Spiritual Clutter and Using Organization to Clear it Out.
Please feel free to share this with other Christian woman who want to love and encourage others! Here’s a Pin-friendly image:
Join the Conversation on Facebook!